This bug dig was a huge success and my boy was thrilled as he excavated different bugs from the dig site! A fun activity with lots of fine motor skills being practiced as those little fingers hammer, dig and brush to reveal the hidden bugs.
You will need:
🐛Container for setting
🐛Bowl for mixing
🐛Bugs (we used counters from Beesy Bag Bug Catcher)
🐛Screwdriver (depending child)
1. Place your bugs into the container making sure to spread them out.
2. In a mixing bowl combine 2 cups of corn flour and 1 cup of water, mix to combine.
This mixture creates Ooblek which in itself is a super fun gooey mixture to play with. If you want some extra play time, allow your child to get their hands in the mix and explore.
3. Pour the mixture into the container covering the plastic bugs.
4. Place the container somewhere safe from spills and leave to dry for 24-48 hours or until the cornflour sets and is hard.
5. Gather your excavation tools and head outside. This activity gets messy so digging on the grass or a piece of cardboard is recommended. 😉
6. Dig away! Using your screwdriver and hammer chisel away at the submerged bugs. Using the paintbrush sweep to reveal which species of bug you have uncovered. 🐝🐛🦋🐌🐞🐜🦟🦗🕷️🦂
We would love to see your little one having fun with their very own bug dig! Don't forget to tag us on social media #beesybags. Happy digging!