I love it when my boy shows an interest in cooking because I always feel that so much parent child bonding occurs in the kitchen. Something about cooking together really opens up the channel of communication as you discuss measuring, mixing and baking. When you think about it, a meal tastes best when shared, so i guess the same philosophy can be shared to the meal preparation.
This activity is really more about the cake decorating not so much about the recipe. After we made our cupcakes (we used a packet mix this time) we raided the pantry and used whatever we could find to make our bug decorations.
Below you will find an ingredient list of what we used to make our bug cupcakes but really feel free to substitute any ingredient and see what crazy bugs you can conjure up!
We made delicious cream cheese icing for our cupcakes because the packet mix was too sweet and this one is a favourite in our house.
1. Melt the cream cheese and butter until just soft
2. Using your hand-held electric mixer mix the cream cheese and butter together
3. Slowly add the sifted icing sugar
4. Stop when the mixture is a nice spreadable consistency
5. Using a spoon or a piping bag, ice the cupcakes
6. Time to decorate! Get creative and make some marvellous bug-tastic cupcakes!
Like always we would love to see your cupcake bug creations! Don't forget to tag us in your bug-tastic cupcakes on social media #beesybags